Options

Unable to profile Web Development Server - server shuts down

Hi,

I installed version 6.3 of the performance profiler this morning. I also installed the Visual Studio plugin.
I am trying to profile a .NET 3.5 web site on my machine using Visual Studio 2010 Pro (x64) running on Windows 7 Pro.

I can't even get the most basic profiling to work.

When I start the profiler I choose:
- ASP.NET web application (web development server)
- In the web application path I put the full path to my root web folder (which contains my default.aspx)
- In the web server virtual directory I put in /wwwroot (I have also tried just /)
- In the port I have chosen 50103
- In .NET version I have .NET 2

When I normally run the application in the debugger the site loads as http://localhost:50102/wwwroot/ so the settings I chose above mimic this closely enough.

When I try to 'Start Profiling' a few things happen:
- The profiler seems to start
- A new instance of the ASP.NET development server starts up but then seems to shut down straight away without any obvious error
- The IE window which starts up starts up with the url http://localhost:50103/wwwroot and I get an error stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

I have spent a couple of hours trying to diagnose this, looking through the forums and other site from Google but I can't seem to find what is going wrong.

If I am doing something stupid I apologise but I am about to give up on this as right now I am totally blocked trying to do the most basic of tasks.
I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mark
Mark Rodrigues
Crystal Software Solutions Pty Ltd

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Mark,

Since this problem is so common and so difficult to solve because of the complete lack of feedback by either Profiler or devserver, you are probably going to find a lot of unhelpful, contradictory, or irrelevant information on the Red Gate website with regards to fixing it.

But typically, either running ANTS Performance Profiler as administrator or disabling Internet Explorer's protected mode fixes this 50% of the time these days.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the help.

It turns out running the profile as administrator fixed the problem.

On Windows 7, I wasn't given the right-click option to 'Run as Administator' but I found that I had to edit the properties of the icon and click 'Run as Administrator' in the property box to get this to work.

Thanks again.

Mark
    Mark Rodrigues
    Crystal Software Solutions Pty Ltd
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Mark,
    ANTS Performance Profiler is designed in a way that it should prompt automatically for elevation when needed. However, it's not working sometimes, sorry to say.

Usually a shift+right-click will allow you to force a run as administrator.