Options

Error in HeaderControl ctor

garethhaytergarethhayter Posts: 45 Bronze 2
edited November 14, 2012 3:57AM in SmartAssembly
I'm using version 6.5 with a custom UI. When an unhandled exception occurs, the exception reporting form no longer displays due to an internal exception in the SmartAssembly code:

NullReferenceException in SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UI.HeaderControl.ctor()

Any ideas about how to fix this? I've recompiled the custom UI with the 6.5 assemblies.

Thanks,
Gareth.
Gareth Hayter

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Gareth,

That is not a lot of information to go on. Did you try rebuilding with diagnostic information and see if you can get an error report from the assembly when it fails?
  • Options
    Sorry, but I can't see anything in the constructor that would cause a null-reference, except possibly something odd to do with fonts or system colors.

Can you get the complete stack trace from this application?

If you're not having any luck with the self-diagnostic, you can try attaching the Red Gate debugger to the protected version of the assembly.
  • Options
    Do you still have this problem if you run the program as administrator? I think it may be trying to get the application icon out of a different assembly.
  • Options
    Hi Brian. Sorry about the delay in my reply. I realised that I had the .Net 4.5 preview installed on my machine as well, which is supposed to install side-by-side with 4.0. When I uninstalled 4.5 and repaired 4.0 then this error went away, although I now have another error which I'll report separately.

Thanks for your help with this.

By the way, your Red Gate Debugger is a fantastic tool.

Kind regards,
    Gareth.
    Gareth Hayter
  • Options
    Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the complement - Red Gate are looking into doing some new and exciting stuff with the MS Debugger Engine, which will hopefully benefit a lot of people.

Sounds to me like you had a problem with incompatible resources, in the end.
  • Options
    Brian, could you please be more specific what you mean by "incompatible resources"? I have the problem as well and I really don't want to uninstall .NET Framework 4.5, nor should I have to imo.

I'm targeting .NET 4.0.