Options

Source control integration issues

AleksandarAleksandar Posts: 10
edited December 14, 2011 8:23PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
After playing around with SQL Source Control and SQL Compare I just want some confirmation on an issue.

While using Compare to rollback to a previous version, i noticed that this action is not commited to Version control. I cant find any trace of this in the history log even though it has actually rolled it back. Am i missing something here, or is this not a feature?

If it isnt a feature, how would i go about making a note of the rollback through SQL Source Control?

-aleks

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post - Compare can work against source control revisions via the SSMS Integration Pack, but I'm not quite sure what you meant in your message.

How did you perform the rollback? Do you mean you set the target of the comparison to a source control revision and it didn't change any of the files? Or something else?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Aleks,

When you rolled back, presumably with SQL Compare, did you remember to commit the changes back to source control? If you didn't, you have only rolled back your development database, but not source control. A roll-back should have caused a lot of blue indicators to appear on your database in the Object Explorer.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    First off should probably note im using shared db dev model.

I used SQL compare to roll back to a prevision version (from V80->v50). Source Control showed NO blue dots anywhere so i thought it had done nothing and closed/reopened SSMS. I wasnt prompted to update(get latest) the objects nor that there were any changes (i had no SSC indicator on bottom left of the DB icon at all).
    I checked from a different account and SSC was v80 but had all of the objects were from v50, ie, it had been rolled back.

It seems to have overwritten v80 with the contents of v50 in Source Control.

From what your saying i should need to commit the rollback and that makes a hell of a lot more sense. Maybe this was just a bug/glitch.