Licensing and Activation Problem

paulpaul Posts: 14
I am trying to add the SDK 8 to my project and license and activate Packager (the 3 lines of assemblies in licx). I have followed the instructions and upon building the project I see the Activate box, I click Activate and nothing happens. It displays another Activate box, I click Activate and nothing happens. It does this again for a total of 3 times then fails with 3 build errors that look like this:

Error 4 Exception occurred creating type 'RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine, Version=7.1.0.182, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Licensing.Client.resources, Version=2.7.0.3, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I saw another occurrence of this via google but it was a bit dated so I'm wondering what the current solution or workaround for this is now.

Thanks.

Comments

• fyi, this is with VS 2010 & .Net 4.0.
  • Ok, this appears to be a problem when targeting .Net 4.0. Recreated the problem when changing the sample proj to target 4.0. Here's the workaround that worked for me.

1) I opened the SDK 8 sample for Automating SQL Packager in VS2010 (converted it upon open).

2) Verified the project was targeting .Net 2.0

3) Built and Activation worked successfully.

4) Verify that proj would build against 4.0 -- Changed proj to target 4.0, rebuilt with success.

5) Opened up *my* non-activatable sln and was able to build it successfully (while targeting 4.0).
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Paul,

Glad to see you have the build working - the issue with SDK licensing DLL remains the same - its' resources are in .NET 2 format so the Microsoft licensing compiler for .net 4 will throw this error.

Since the resources are only used to display the activation dialog, you can activate the SDK licence by building against .NET 2 and then any builds will compile regardless of whether they target .NET 2 or .NET 4. Once the SDK licence is created on the computer, the serial number dialog doesn't need to come up any more and therefore the problem goes away.
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks. That really help me a lot! i've been stuck with that error for few days. I followed ur steps and the error just go away :)

Thanks!