Options

profiling a page with update panels

I'm trying to track down a performance problem with a legacy asp.net site, however I'm getting an error clicking any of the buttons:

Error
A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 4723
Error: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException: The message received from the server could not be parsed. Common causes for this error are when the response is modified by calls to Response.Write(), response filters, HttpModules, or server trace is enabled.

Details: Error parsing near '

<!DOCTYPE html PUB'.
Yes No

I can't find any documentation on what I need to do to get around this. Could someone please let me know what I need to do to get the profiler working properly here?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

ANTS Profiler breaks websites for a few reasons like permissions, code access policy changes, and failure to read the configuration properly. Unfortunately the symptoms are always different so it's impossible for us to construct any KBs that will help and therefore you won't find anything this specific on the website. Problems like yours have to be debugged individually.

I'd assume the reason for this message is that the server is returning an error response instead of the expected XML data that the control should be getting from the server. So ANTS more than likely has broken the configuration and caused an exception which is being concealed by IIS.

So I guess what you can do is use Fiddler or a packet analyzer to work out what response is coming back from the server (details about the actual error are probably in the response) or attach a debugger to see what the errors are. Then we have to take a few stabs at working out how ANTS Profiler managed to misconfigure the site or break the code.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Do you need any further assistance to work out how to debug the website? Unfortunately you cannot get the failure cause from anywhere in ANTS Profiler like the log because the error is happening in the application.