Options

Performance Profiling not working at all

I'm trying to profile an IIS 6 web application. Server is running WS2003, website is running on port 80, have a header adress, and a specific application pool.

The account launching Ants Performance Profiler is an administrator account.

So basicaly, I start the wizard, chose ASP.NET web application (IIS), choose the proper website in the dropdown, leave all the settings as they are, except for Unused port, that I had set on an unused port. I click to start profiling and get this error :

[code]10 Oct 2011 16:45:06.540 [1] ERROR ??.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for all the log entries, but again, they do not help. Basically something has either gone wrong with w3wp or communications to the port are being blocked and the log not useful for telling us which.

You may want to start by checking the application event log - there may be indications as to why w3wp.exe is crashing -- if it is crashing.

In my opinion it's best to avoid IIS and try the development web server option - it's much less complex than the IIS option so it fails a lot less.
  • Options
    Thank you for your answer. I looked at the event viewer and have indeed errors there (always the same) :
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3615 - Failed to CoCreate profiler.

Do you know how I can fix this ?

[Edit]
    I found this on the knowledge base : http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 20Profiler

Followed eveything, still not working

[Edit2]
    Those errors, if related, does not occur when a profiling fails. I just tried, and the event viewer doesn't show any new error, even after a fail profiling.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you have the permissions, the remaining possibilities are an installation problem or a crash in the profiler core initialization code. You can try to fix the former by running this on the command-line:
    regsvr32 "c:\program files\red gate\ants performance profiler 6\ProfilerCore.dll"

If it's failing in the initailization code, as you'd expect there is no supportability or logging to tell you why and the best we can do is memory dump w3wp.exe and analyze the stack trace.