SQL ldf file still showing old size

staggerleestaggerlee Posts: 6
edited October 6, 2011 10:37AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi all,

I recently had the joy of shrinking a 20gb .ldf file down to 2gb as it was to say the least massively over sized.

When i go to sqlmonitor analysis it shows it at 20gb still in the "Log Size" menu. Any ideas why its not getting the right size?

Thanks
s

Comments

• Just noticed. I shrank another .ldf file down today. If i go to a day view, it shows the log file slowly going down for the total duration of the view (If i pick a week view then its been shrinking for 7 days. If i pick 24 hours then its been shrinking for 24 hours etc..) This isn't accurate. I guess more a complaint than a problem though.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

The size may not have been updated as it depends on the data collection frequency i.e. if you have shrunk the log files then the size changes won't get reflected on overviews till the next data collection has taken place. Every data is collected at different frequency.

Regarding Analysis page, SQL Monitor plots a maximum of 500 data points and then draws straight lines between consecutive points. So in this case, it would have joined the data points which might look like slow decreasing size. You can read more about it if you click blue help icon on Analysis page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software