Options

Some newbie questions...

wibblemonkeywibblemonkey Posts: 4
edited September 29, 2011 11:21AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

I've downloaded the trial edition of SQL Compare to assess whether it will meet our requirements, but I've hit a problem right at the start!

I have an old database that was created with all objects in the default [dbo] schema, and a new structure that has moved them into new individual schemas, e.g.
    OldDB
    dbo
    Table1 Table2
    NewDB
    Schema1
    Table1
Schema2
    Table2
dbo
    Synonym1 (dbo.Table1 -> Schema1.Table1) Synonym2 (dbo.Table2 -> Schema2.Table2)

First of all, if I have an existing OldDB that I want to update to the NewDB structure, what is the source and what is the target? This nomenclature is ambiguous - my existing OldDB is the target of the update operation that I want to perform, but the goal is to end up with a database updated to look like NewDB, so NewDB is also technically "the target".

Either way, it doesn't appear to be possible to specify multiple mappings to a single schema. Given the above scenario, I would want to end up with the following:

OldDB.dbo.Table1 -> NewDB.Schema1.Table1
OldDB.dbo.Table2 -> NewDB.Schema2.Table2

so in either direction I would need a 1-to-many mapping for schemas.

I accepted the defaults and ran the comparison anyway, assuming that I would be able to manually map objects when the comparison was complete, but the online help appears to suggest that all I can do is include/exclude the matches that the compare has found, rather than being able to specify my own.

Can someone please confirm for me whether this is indeed the case, or have I misunderstood something fundamental from the get-go?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    We have a table mapping feature in the next early access release due out in the next couple of weeks. We'd be curious to know if it satisfies your use case. Shall I put you on our EA list so you are notified of its release?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    We have a table mapping feature in the next early access release due out in the next couple of weeks. We'd be curious to know if it satisfies your use case. Shall I put you on our EA list so you are notified of its release?

David, that would be fantastic. Note though that as I said, I'm currently evaluating on the 14-day trial basis, and said 14-day period may have expired by then.

Jim
  • Options
    If you get in touch with us we'll be happy to extend the trial. I've put you on the list.

Kind regards,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software