Options

Extract scripts from exe?

BeedleBeedle Posts: 3
edited September 19, 2011 12:34PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hi,
Is there a way to extract the scripts from an exe(and dll) package? My problem is this: I have a exe/dll set created from a database (and network environment) no longer in existence. I made the mistake of letting the SQL Packager include logins, so now when I attempt to run it, it fails right away trying to create a domain\login for an invalid domain. Short of actually creating the domain and user, can anyone think of a way I can extract the scripts from this package? I was thinking of maybe somehow tricking the exe into sending the commands to a shell, or some way to have it keep executing after errors.

Thanks,
Beedle
Programming today is a race between developers producing bigger and better idiot-proof applications and the universe producing bigger and better idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comments

• Options
    I can't think of a massively simple way of doing this. You could try our .NET Reflector product, as this will let you see the source code for the .exe. The scripts is stored as a bunch of string resources. However, if you ticked the box to compress these when you originally made the .exe, you won't be able to view them in any meaningful sense.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Thanks for the idea James. When I try to open any of the dll's resources, I get an "Invalid resource file signature" error.
    Programming today is a race between developers producing bigger and better idiot-proof applications and the universe producing bigger and better idiots. So far the universe is winning.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, that suggests the string resources are compressed.

I don't know of a way to decompress those I'm afraid, and I don't think there's any way to get the script to continue if it encounters an error as the rollback code is part of the script. So it looks like really you'd need some way to create those users first.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software