Options

w3wp.exe crashes while profiling ASP.NET MVC web application

Hi,

I am trying to profile an ASP.NET MVC web application. I have hosted the application in IIS.
I have tried to profile using 1) Original Port as well as 2) Unused port
As soon as the Sign-In page is displayed my worker process crashes with message
"An unhandled win32 exception occured in w3wp.exe"

I found following entry in the Profiler log files

System.InvalidOperationException: Counter is not single instance, an instance name needs to be specified.
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.NextSample()
at (Object )
at ???.???.NextSample()

Any help or support is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sorry to say, the ANTS Profiler logs are not the place to look. Basically what can happen is that Profiler's core.dll loads into the application and either changes the running environment so it throws an error or introduces an error so the process crashes. There is zero supportability when dealing with crashes in the application being profiled. We have to get a stack dump from the app when it fails, brew up a pot of coffee, and spend a pleasant half a day on crash dump analysis.

So I guess the question is, how good are you with adplus?

Download ftp://support.red-gate.com/utilities/autodumper.zip and extract to disk. On the command line, run cscript adplus.vbs -crash -pn w3wp. Start up Profiler and attempt to profile your application.
    It should make a crash dump in a subfolder of the adplus folder.

If it works, let me know if you get a dump and we can set up an FTP site for you to upload it to, because it will be a supersize file (100-200MBs).