SQL Azure support broke today?

IanBlackburnIanBlackburn Posts: 3
edited September 13, 2011 6:46AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
We have been using SQL Compare to sync a local SQL 2008 R2 db and SQL Azure for a while without a problem.

But from today any attempt to compare produces the error:

Could not find stored procedure 'sp_dbcmptlevel'.

Can't seem to find a way round this so any help gratefully received.

Comments

• tahirtahir Posts: 2
    edited August 8, 2011 7:51AM
    I use redgate's sqlazurebackup tool, and I'm facing the same error since today .I've also tried with the new version of the tool, same pb, don't now how to fix it :(
  • I'm finding the same issue. It's all been working fine with SQLCompare 9 for months, and last week stopped.

I wonder if a change has happened at the SQL Azure end. Very frustrating.

I'm following the same pattern as Ian below, with a local db comparison with SQLAzure.

Again, any help much appreciated.
  • Are you guys by any chance on the Western Europe SQL servers? We having the same issue, but it seems the Azure Database Manager is down. In fact its been down all weekend...

Not sure if this is what is causing the issue?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/s ... board.aspx
  • yes western europe for me, may be related to the issue
  • Yup,

on Western Europe SQL Servers. Although I don't see why that would affect SQL compare. I would expect an error that tells me can't find db, or can't connect or something else. Not a can't find stored proc.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Red Gate is currently working on a fix for this - Microsoft have sprung a big surprise on us this weekend and we have to update all of the SQL programs that support Azure because the way we detect Azure doesn't work any more.

Given what I currently know about Azure, if the European installations have all been updated, the changes will probably get pushed to North America in the very near future.

We should have new builds later today and will post the link on this forum.

Thanks for your patience!
  • tahir wrote:
    I use redgate's sqlazurebackup tool, and I'm facing the same error since today .I've also tried with the new version of the tool, same pb, don't now how to fix it :(

I've just released a patch for SQL Azure Backup. You can either use the UI to download the 1.0.5 update or simply download the tool again from the website.

Hope this helps.

(Please direct future support for SQL Azure Backup to http://sqlazurebackup.uservoice.com)
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Hi,

Is the hotfix for SQL Compare 9 in the pipeline for this afternoon too? I'm not using SQLAzureBackup. Just SQLCompare and SQLDataCompare.

Thanks
  • benreesbenrees Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    padda wrote:
    Hi,

Is the hotfix for SQL Compare 9 in the pipeline for this afternoon too? I'm not using SQLAzureBackup. Just SQLCompare and SQLDataCompare.

Thanks

Hi there - I'm afraid the SQL Compare 9 fix won't be out today. Apologies for this, but we're working as quickly as we can to get this out for tomorrow.

We'll keep you updated and get this out to you as soon as we can.

Regards

Ben Rees
  • Hi any news on the fix for SQL compare?

Will you have a fix for today?
    There is something available to fix the Azure issue for SQL Compare:
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... .0.475.zip

Of course, the usual, untested software disclaimers apply. It's been minimally tested but if you run into any issues please let me know.
  • Thanks. This version is working great.
  • Hi,

I'm finding that the SQLCompare patch is working nicely. The SQLDataCompare v9, however, is having the same problem, i.e.
    Could notfind stored procedure 'sp_dbcmptlevel'

There are some technical issues in patching the SQL Data Compare binaries at the moment so it could be some time before Data Compare will be compatible to whatever changes were done to Azure.
  • Any word on when this fix will be ready?
  • There is already a patch available as referenced earlier in this thread. Is this not working for you?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Sorry - I was reffering to SQL Data Compare - that's not patched is it?
  • Yes, there's a fix, although it appears that the forum is devoid of any link to the patch, which isn't great. I'll see if I can find the link. Bear with me!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
    SQL Data Compare for Azure patch: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... 173469.exe

This should sort the problem.
  • Hi,

I have SQL Toolbelt installed on Windows 7 desktop. I have the everything installed except the components naturally belonging on a server (e.g. backup etc.)

I've updated SQL Compare using the patches suggested (9.1)

I get an error when I attempt to do a comparison between a local SQL database and an Azure database about BackupReader.dll (I have sent through an error report).

The 9.5 patch makes things go horribly wrong for me!

Help and suggestions are most welcome :)

I see the error report but I have no idea. It doesn't include the binding information so I don't know why it failed. I can compare live to backup using the patch version, so I think this problem is specific to you. I'll log a support call and someone will get in touch with you via email.
  • Craig,
    I just tried mailing you directly to check over a couple of things regarding this problem but the mail bounced. Can you email support@red-gate.com with F0051889 in the subject line and we'll follow up?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Hi guys,

Unfortunately SQL Compare patch did not work for us. We still are getting the same error as before (procedure not found). SQL Data compare worked fine (thanks). When trying to redo the patch, it says that upgrade already done and the checkbox is disabled to continue.

Any ideas please?
  • Hi all,
    I have a copy of SQL Compare 8.5 and was evaluating version 9 to see if I could make it work with our SQL Azure dabases and have run into a new problem!

I have applied the hotfix mentioned in this thread which resaolved the problem with the missing stored procedure. I now get a new error when registering the data sources. At the Reading users stage I get the error 'There is already and open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.'

This may be a configuration issue but I cannot find anywhere that I might be able to add MultipleActiveResultSets=True to a connection string in SQL Compare itself.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I would very much like to evaluate this produce sucessfully.

Thanks.

Tim
  • Hi Tim, you can if you want, although I don't know whether or not it will help. You can fudge parameters into the connection string by putting them in the server box, for instance servername;MultipleActiveResultSets=True.
  • Hi Brian,
    That worked, so thanks very much!