Options

Source control and the SDK

adamashtonadamashton Posts: 8
How does licensing work for the SDK when we have an SVN server. Do we need licenses for every machine we build the SDK on just because it's in source control??

Comments

• Options
    My understanding of this is that you need an SDK license for each developer that is developing using the API. If it's just a question of building code developed by others, you won't be required to purchase an additional license.

Depending on whether you also intend to *distribute* your SDK application, you might also need additional licenses.

I hope this answers your question. Please contact sales@red-gate.com for further information.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Hi David.

Thanks for your reply. The code is only developed by one developer but then we intended to put the code in source control. Thus when another developer checks out the code and tries to build will they also need a license? Also, does a build server need a a license - even though it's clearly not doing any coding!? Can we use the same license across multiple machines?
  • Options
    If only one developer is making changes to the Red Gate API code, you need one license. If you provide your existing serial number to sales@red-gate.com, they will make the necessary licensing adjustments to get it working on your other machines.

Can I ask what you're using the SDK for?

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Ah, excellent. I'll get our license manager to contact red gate to sort this out. We're using the SDK to compare data across our database systems after we've pushed data on our daily builds. We're also creating views on the fly to compare custom SQL select data.