"Unsupported column type - Empty" comparing scripts

JackAceJackAce Posts: 75 New member
When comparing two SVN tags of the same database repository script folders, I get the error

Unsupported column type - Empty

I get this when just comparing a single table that exists in both script folders. I get the same error no matter what tables I compare. The only time I didn't get the error was when I compared two tables that had no data in it.

Is this a known issue or is there a work around? Is it not possible to compare the data contents of two tables that are populated by the /Data/dbo.MyTable_Data.sql scripts?

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

This issue is new to me, so I can't tell you exactly why it's happening.

Can you tell me:

1) Which version of SQL Data compare 9 are you using? (help> About)
    2) Does this happen when you use the GUI, or is it just commandline or API?
    3) Were the data scripts created by SQL Data Compare?
    4) Are you checking out just the data scripts from SVN and comparing them, or are you also checking out the schema statements in the /tables folder too?
    5) Could you post the DDL for the dbo.MyTable?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • JackAceJackAce Posts: 75 New member
    So I figured out what was causing the problem.

We have a UserDefinedDataType called dbo.KeyType which is just a wrapper for a BIGINT datatype. If I manually edit the datatype and change it to BIGINT in the table generation script, the error goes away and there doesn't seem to be any problems. We will eventually change all the KeyType fields to be BIGINT, so this issue will eventually go away for us.

In any case, here are the answers to your questions:
    1) Which version of SQL Data compare 9 are you using? (help> About)
    2) Does this happen when you use the GUI, or is it just commandline or API?
    3) Were the data scripts created by SQL Data Compare?
    4) Are you checking out just the data scripts from SVN and comparing them, or are you also checking out the schema statements in the /tables folder too?
    5) Could you post the DDL for the dbo.MyTable?

1) I am using Red Gate SQL Data Compare v9.0.0.117
    2) I get the Unsupported column type - empty error when using the GUI.
    3) The scripts were generated using SQL Source Control, not SQL Data Compare
    4) The script repository has both a Data and a Tables folder, both generated by SQL Source Control
    5) Here's the table generation script (with some names obfuscated):
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ActivityFeedSource]
    (
    [ID] [dbo].[KeyType] NOT NULL IDENTITY(1, 1),
    [CodeFile] [nvarchar] (100) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [MethodName] [nvarchar] (200) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [DisplayToCustomer] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_1] DEFAULT ((1)),
    [OriginatingCustomerText] [nvarchar] (500) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [OriginatingCustomerPublicText] [nvarchar] (500) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [SharedCustomerPublicText] [nvarchar] (500) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [IsActive] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_ActivityFeedSource_IsActive] DEFAULT ((1)),
    [Display] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_ActivityFeedSource_Display] DEFAULT ((1))
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[ActivityFeedSource] ADD CONSTRAINT [PK_ActivityFeedSource] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED  ([ID]) WITH (STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE=ON) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO