Options

"WITH COMPRESSION" backup option breaks hyperbac 5.2

JesseGJesseG Posts: 2
edited July 31, 2011 4:57AM in SQL HyperBac 5
(Yes, I know it doesn't make sense to try to compress a compressed backup. We ran across this due to a mis-configured maintenance plan.)

sql 2008 ent, 10.00.4311

Hyperbac is not creating zip files for databases that are using native backup compression.

--works, no compression, neither hyperbac or sql (2 MB)
BACKUP DATABASE myDatabase to DISK = 'i:\test\myDatabase1.bak'

--works, hyperbac compression, valid zip file created, inside the zip file is myDatabase.bak (256 KB)
BACKUP DATABASE myDatabase to DISK = 'i:\test\myDatabase2.zip'

--works, native sql compressed backup (252 KB)
BACKUP DATABASE myDatabase to DISK = 'i:\test\myDatabase3.bak' WITH COMPRESSION

--doesn't work as expected, I expected a valid zip file with a compressed backup inside, instead i got a native sql compressed backup (252 KB)
BACKUP DATABASE myDatabase to DISK = 'i:\test\myDatabase4.zip' WITH COMPRESSION

I would consider this a bug, as the options within sql server should have no bearing on how hyperbac does it's job.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

This is known, there are known compatibility issues with the internal CRC structures in the DEFLATE compression format and the native compressed backup format, we are looking into this, however there is little or no compression benefit in using both native and HyperBac compression for backups, this is not necessarily so however for combining native row and page level compression with SQL Storage Compress data compression. Your post is duly noted however.
    Jeffrey Aven
    Product Management - HyperBac Technologies
    Red Gate Software