Options

Timeout expired when refreshing Commit Changes tab

JackAceJackAce Posts: 75 New member
On a relatively new database with just 82 tables and 106 stored procedures and 10 statically linked tables (the Data folder contains only 37 KB worth of sql files) I always get the "Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." message.

If I run SQLCompare.exe from the command line against the database and my local checkout of the version controlled scripts, Red Gate is able to determine the change list pretty quickly. If I run it with the /sync option, it synchronizes the source controlled files fine.

Is there something I can change to extend the timeout period of SQL Source Control? Is there something else going on that needs to change on my end? Obviously, using the command line tool to update source control manually is not the optimal solution.

Here's a copy of the complete error message in the Red Gate SQL Source Control window:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
   at #vlhb.#wEc.#Emb(ICollection`1 , DateTime )
   at #vlhb.#wEc.#CFV(String )
   at #GWeb.#WXM.#xFV()
   at #GWeb.#WXM.#aQU(ICollection`1 , DatabaseObjectIdDictionary`1 , SourceControlOperation )
   at #GWeb.#XXM.#L8c(SourceControlOperation )
   at #GWeb.#XXM.#zYM(ToCommitChangeSet& toCommitChangeSet)
   at #GWeb.#VXM.#mYM[#eTb](Func`2 , ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
   at #GWeb.#VXM.#jYM(ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
   at #GWeb.#4Ec.#7Jc(ICancellableOperationStatus , IReadOnlySourceControlServerCallBacks )
   at #GWeb.#4Ec.#t.#u3.#ofA(ICancellableOperationStatus )
   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.MutexedCancellableOperation`1.#t.#u3.#k5f()
   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.CancellableOperationBase.InvokeWithTracker(Action action)
   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.Cancellables.MutexedCancellableOperation`1.Invoke()
   at #eEc.#Qlg.Invoke()
   at #JLc.#PLc.#t.#Jfb.#EJf()
   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SmartAssembly.ExceptionReporting.ErrorReporterBase.Do(Action , Predicate`1 , Boolean )
   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SmartAssembly.ExceptionReporting.ErrorReporterBase.DoWithObviousExceptionsRethrowAll(Action action)
   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.CommonUI.Forms.ErrorDialog.DoWithObviousExceptionsRethrowAll(Action action)
   at #JLc.#PLc.#CTc(ICancellableOperation`1 , Object )

Comments

• Options
    JackAceJackAce Posts: 75 New member
    JackAce wrote:
    Is there something I can change to extend the timeout period of SQL Source Control? Is there something else going on that needs to change on my end? Obviously, using the command line tool to update source control manually is not the optimal solution.

So I unlinked and relinked the database to SSC and it seems to have solved the issue.