separate COPYTO actions from commands

meastlandmeastland Posts: 47
edited July 26, 2011 8:39PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
After reading through the online help for SQL Backup, I notice that it is possible to separate the ERASE commands from the backup jobs. I was wondering if it is also possible to do this with the COPYTO commands? The reason I ask is because copying to the remote fileserver in my environment is causing the backup jobs to run much longer than normal. I would like to try separating the copy steps from the core backup jobs to see if I can work around this issue. I realize that I can code something outside of SQL Backup to copy the files on a scheduled basis, but I was wondering if there was a way to do this using any part of the SQL Backup toolset.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for your post.
    Unfortunately I don't believe it's possible to get the COPYTO to run asynchronously from the backup command itself - it's an interesting idea though, and I'll double check it with the Backup team to make sure it's not something we're already looking at.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    James is right, we do not have any commands that will allow you to run COPYTO as a standalone process. We do offer a couple of standalone utilities, Copytool and Ftptool, to do that. You can read more about them here.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8