Options

Typo in Deadlock description

Random LengthsRandom Lengths Posts: 43 Bronze 2
edited July 11, 2011 5:30PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
In my Alerat:Deadlock trace flag disabled, under description is the following text:

Deadlock trace flag

Raised when the deadlock trace flag is not set on your SQL Server instance.
What is the deadlock trace flag?

The deadlock trace flag enables SQL Monitor to provide information about deadlocks on a monitored instance - such as the processes involved and the type of lock. If the trace flag is not set, no Deadlock alerts will be raised by SQL Monitor.

When you first add a SQL Server instance to monitor, SQL Monitor will attempt to turn on the deadlock trace flag on the instance using the command:

DBCC TRACEON (1204 -1)

This sets the deadlock trace flag globally. If SQL Monitor cannot turn on the trace flag for any reason, for example because of a permissions issue, then it raises the Deadlock trace flag disabled alert. The alert is also raised if the trace flag has manually been disabled using the DBCC TRACEOFF command. SQL Monitor will attempt to turn on the deadlock trace flag again in this case.

Turn on the deadlock trace flag using the SQL statement shown above. To check the status of trace flags use DBCC TRACESTATUS (1204).
More information
Trace Flags (MSDN)

DBCC TRACEON (1204 -1) should be DBCC TRACEON (1204, -1) according to Books Online for 2008 R2, and the only way it would work for me. Perhaps this is in the code that way too, and explains why it was unable to turn it on in the first place?

Comments

• Options
    Hi

Well spotted!! You're right, there should definitely be a comma separating the parameters in that statement.

I've raised a bug report (ref: SRP-4579) to get this fixed.

Many thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate