Permissions required for Red Gate service account

dansophcvdansophcv Posts: 2
edited June 27, 2011 9:17AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi all,

I have worked with Red Gate backup 6 on a previous account, where we ran the process as the same service account as SQL Server. However this was mainly laziness on behalf of the policy maker.

What I need to know is what rights on the OS and the database server Red Gate should be set up to run in accordance with least permissions?

I figure it needs to be able to write to the backup location obviously, however are there any weird staging area locations which it writes to as standard.

In addition to this I need to know exactly what permissions it needs on SQL Server. I am loathe to give it too many rights and open up a security hole.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post.

The account you give to SQL Backup Agent Service needs to be a member of the SQL Server sysadmin fixed server role. The reason for this is that SQL requires a sysadmin account for the creation of the Virtual Device Interface.

As you have correctly identifed it also needs permissions to those folders and directories where you wish to create your backup files.

The service will also require permissions to the SQL Backup folders:

Windows 2008, 2008 R2, Vista and Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data

C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log

Windows 2003, Windows XP:

C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data

C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Logs

Finally to the SQL Backup Registry folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstances

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com