Options

Monitoring stopped, Reason: Server is in single user mode.

namnam Posts: 6
edited June 27, 2011 10:01AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm currently running SQL monitor 2.3 (trial version) and it’s monitoring 1 DB server with littile activity. (It’s currently not really used)
Luckily, a lot of strange situations occurred during the weekend. One of them was a restart of the host DB machine. While SQL server was starting up, SQL monitor tried to log in and got the following Error:
“Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time.”

SQL monitor raised an Alert based on this Error and that’s all fine. However, SQL Monitor maps this error to ‘Incorrect credentials or insufficient permissions’. However, this being a temporary situation causes SQL monitor to stop monitoring this server and do nothing until someone confirms that the credentials it already has are correct.

Is there anything we can do to prevent the ‘stop monitoring’? It’s fine that it temporary stops monitoring. But it would be nice if it continues to retry this (ping) event and automatically recover (start monitoring again) when the server is back up again.

With regards,
Niels.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Niels,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We do have a work around for this where Monitor can keep trying to connect even after ‘Incorrect credentials or insufficient permissions’. Though this has not been exposed via UI as this can be potentially dangerous. You can read the reason here in this post. But if you would still like to give it a go then let us know and I would email you the detail.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    priyasinha wrote:
    But if you would still like to give it a go then let us know and I would email you the detail.

Hi Priya,

Part of the application that uses the DB also automatically recovers from it. So I indeed also want the monitoring to recover.
    So if you could send me the details?
    Thanks in advance!