Is it possible to simply *test* the synchronization script?

snkscoresnkscore Posts: 8
edited June 28, 2011 11:33AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I don't see any way in the UI to test the synchronization script from the sql compare application?

I'd like to use the synchronization manager, but not have it commit any changes. Run it, report any errors, and rollback all changes.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Comments

• Thanks for your question.

I don't think there is a way of 'testing' the script, however, when you run the synchronisation wizard, if you click 'Synchronise using SQL Compare' and then check the box which says 'Back up target before synchronisation' which will create a SQL Compare snapshot of your databases or allow you to perform a backup at the end of the wizard.

Siân Williams
    Red Gate Software
    Tel: 0800 169 7433
    sian.williams@red-gate.com
  • Ok thanks for the info.

The use case I'm working on is that we'd like to run the compare, produce a script that we know will run w/o errors (here is where it would be nice to do a test-run of the script), and then schedule that script along with other changes to production servers that are not database related to all execute at some specified time in the future.

Without knowing that the script would work, it would be hard to go down this path where we wouldn't have to manually be watching the updates happening @ 1am, we could just schedule them and have confidence that the database scripts would work.

I'm guessing we could possibly wrap the script in our own transaction and roll it back to do our own testing of the script, but it would be a nice feature to have that built into the tool in the future.
  • aolcotaolcot Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    Hi snkscore, is it possible to test the compare script against a test instance that mimics your production environment or other similar sandpit type environment?

There are some sql statements that you cannot wrap up within a transaction e.g. full text indexing so i believe that it wouldn't be possible to rollback those type of changes that easily.