Comparing a database with a version in TFS source control

jpooleyjpooley Posts: 2
Using SQL Compare Pro I can compare and synchronize a SQL database with a particular version source controlled in TFS.

Can I do this with the SDK?

Can you point me to the documentation that covers this?

Does anyone have any examples of how to do this for both schema and data comparisons?
Jackie

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for your post. Are you currently using Compare within SSMS, by right-clicking a database and picking the "Schema Compare/Deploy" option? The functionality there relies on the SSMS Integration pack, and I don't think there is any way to access that using the SDK unfortunately.

Generally you'd want to check out a copy of what's in source control to a set of script folders somewhere on the machine, and you can then work with the SDK against that.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• I am currently trying to implement something like this using a custom code activity which implement the SQL Compare SDK under the covers.

This is kind of where I started: http://geekswithblogs.net/jakob/archive/2009/08/13/tfs-team-build-2010-working-with-custom-code-activities.aspx and then MSDN for further reference. After you have the code activity, you can just integrate it into your workflow so that when the TFS build agent checks out the source, this code runs and your SQL source scripts directory is right there available to it.