Running multiple instance of SQLBackup at the same time

meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
edited June 10, 2011 3:10PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am running SQLBackup 6.5.0.75. Can I run multiple instances of it to backup my databases?

I am asking can I run both of these at the same time.

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [DB1]
TO DISK = ''D:\Backups\DB1_1.sqb'',
DISK = ''D:\Backups\DB1_2.sqb''
WITH ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 3h, DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 30, DISKRETRYCOUNT = 10, COMPRESSION = 2, INIT"'
GO

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [DB2]
TO DISK = ''D:\Backups\DB2_1.sqb'',
DISK = ''D:\Backups\DB2_2.sqb''
WITH ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 3h, DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 30, DISKRETRYCOUNT = 10, COMPRESSION = 2, INIT"'
GO
Larry M
Cleveland, OH USA

Comments

• We run many SQLBackup backup jobs at the same time as they get scheduled into SQL Agent. Remember each job needs 6Mb of contiguous VAS memory. Also get the latest 6.5.1.9 from the download page as it has a needed fix for large database restores.

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • In production, we process each backup as part of that databases maintenance process. Many of these overlap in schedule. I have seen duration reductions when they are staggered.

In development and QA (20+ databases) I use the keyword "USER". This processes one after the other and works well with tags(<database>,<auto>). The only downside is a few errors have been hard to identify the source.
    /*FULL BACKUP FOR ALL USERS*/
    DECLARE @exitcode int
    DECLARE @sqlerrorcode int
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP USER DATABASES TO DISK = ''k:\DatabaseBAK\&lt;database&gt;\&lt;AUTO&gt;.sqb'' WITH COMPRESSION = 4, ERASEFILES_ATSTART = 1h, THREADCOUNT = 7"', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT
    IF &#40;@exitcode &gt;= 500&#41; OR &#40;@sqlerrorcode &lt;&gt; 0&#41;
    BEGIN
    RAISERROR &#40;'SQL Backup failed with exit code: %d  SQL error code: %d', 16, 1, @exitcode, @sqlerrorcode&#41;
    END