Licensing (.NET 2.0 / VS2005)

marcl508marcl508 Posts: 24
edited November 18, 2005 1:44PM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
After converting to 2005 my Toolkit will not license correctly.

Is there something special I need to do?

Build started: Project: DataUtil, Configuration: Debug Any CPU
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\bin\LC.exe /target:DataUtil.exe /complist:licenses.licx /outdir:obj\Debug\ /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.Compression.ZLib.dll" /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.SQL.Shared.dll" /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.dll" /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.dll" /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.SQLPackager.Engine.dll" /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Drawing.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.EnterpriseServices.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Windows.Forms.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap.dll /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.Licensing.Helper.dll" /i:"C:\Program Files\Red Gate SQL Bundle\RedGate.Licensing.Client.dll" /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualC.dll /i:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.Services.dll
licenses.licx(1): error LC0003: Unable to resolve type 'RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database'
licenses.licx(2): error LC0003: Unable to resolve type 'RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession'
licenses.licx(3): error LC0003: Unable to resolve type 'RedGate.SQLPackager.Engine.PackagerEngine'
Done building project "DataUtil.csproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Marc,

SQL Toolkit components are not compatible with .NET Framework 2.0 at this time. I'd suggest building your project against 1.0 or 1.1 to prevent this kind of strangeness.

If you are using a compiler other than Visual Studio, you could also have problems with the licensing because it only seems to work properly from there. Manually running LC.exe to licence components always seems to fail inexplicably.
  • When will this issue be resolved?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Seeing as Framework 2.0 has just gone RTM, we should have it fully working with the new Visual Studio by the end of the year.
  • Seeing as Framework 2.0 has just gone RTM, we should have it fully working with the new Visual Studio by the end of the year.

Wow, that is a terribly disappointing answer.
  • Hi there,

here's a quick fix so that you can at least compile your toolkit applications. You will need to change the .licx file to be a bit more specific for VS.NET 2005

Change

RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database
    RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession
    RedGate.SQLPackager.Engine.PackagerEngine

To

RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine
    RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession, RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine
    RedGate.SQLPackager.Engine.PackagerEngine, RedGate.SQLPackager.Engine

and it should compile. As our support engineer has pointed out we have not been able to validate that our components work perfectly when executing in the 2.0 runtime. I would suggest you give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Best regards,

Tom