Options

Managing/Ignoring audit columns in data compare 8

mh61mh61 Posts: 5 Bronze 2
In our databases, we have columns for CreatedBy, CreatedDate, ModifiedBy, ModifiedDate in every table.
I'm not sure if its possible, but I'd like to ignore these columns from the data compare for every table (it is tedious to click ignore on every table when we have so many tables in our database).
Now the extra catch is that when I'm creating a synchronize script, I need to populate these columns, but if i set these as ignored columns, the synch script will try to leave them with NULL values. Ideally I'd like to have it generate some sort of logic like: if inserting record, include modified/created date as GETDATE(), and modified/created user as SUSER_NAME(); if updating record, set modified date as GETDATE(), modified user as SUSER_NAME(), ignore created date and user fields.

I'm not expecting there to be a feature that handles all of this for me, but anything to make synchronizing a little less tedious would be very appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your suggestions.

With regards to including columns within the synchronisation despite them being excluded from the comparison, this has already been requested by others, but I will add your comments to the request. The code for this is SDC-778 if you would like to chase this up in the future.

I have also created a feature request for the ability to ignore selected columns from the data comparison for every relevant table, the request code for this is SDC-1241.

I'm not sure when these features will be implemented, but if you would like to chase these up at any point just quote those codes.

Thanks

Siân Williams
    Red Gate Software
    Tel: 0800 169 7433
    sian.williams@red-gate.com
  • Options
    mh61mh61 Posts: 5 Bronze 2