Options

Ignore Column Order

llambertllambert Posts: 4
edited May 5, 2011 2:23PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Is there a way to make sqlcompare ignore the column order?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post.

The column order is actually ignored by default and won't be included in the migration script, unless you use the option 'Force column order'. However, the SQL Differences pane will highlight all textual differences.

Here is the explanation from the help:

Why do identical objects have highlighted differences?
    Object creation scripts may contain differences that do not affect the schema. The objects shown as different in the Results pane are those with differences that are considered meaningful. Purely textual differences, such as whitespace, are highlighted in the SQL Differences pane, even for identical objects.
    You can use the Project Configuration options to control which objects are listed as different in the Results pane.

Example: ignoring column order
    If the order of columns in a table is different, and this difference is irrelevant to your comparison, you can set the option to ignore column order.
    A table whose only difference is the order in which the columns are specified is then shown as identical in the comparison results. However, this difference is still highlighted in the SQL Differences pane.

I hope this helps explain.
    Chris
  • Options
    If the order of columns in a table is different, and this difference is irrelevant to your comparison, you can set the option to ignore column order.

I am having trouble tracking down this option. I have looked under project options and see the force column order option but there is no ignore column order. I have also looked under the application options and did not find anything there.

It would help speed things up considerably for me if I can have the differences ignored in the SQL Differences pane.
  • Options
    Actually, it appears the help is wrong. There has never been an option to 'ignore column order' as that is the default behaviour.

If you want to preserve column order, you can set the option 'Force column Order', but column order will always be ignored by default.

I'll inform our tech authors and get the help updated.
    Chris
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification on the help.