How do I create a version in SQL Server Source Control?

MarkThorntonMarkThornton Posts: 21
I am using SubVersion as the back-end of SQL Server Source Control and want to create benchmark versions. How can I do this?
Mark Thornton
Database Developer
School of Clinical Medicine
University of Cambridge

Comments

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post. There isn't any way within SQL Source Control to give a DB a version number unless you add a version number with the initial commit that then ties up with the revision number in SVN.

I suspect that what you would want to do is create branches in SVN and then have all iterations of a DB lined against those branches. When you decide to change the version of the DB that you have linked, you simply unlink and then relink with the new branch.

For example, you could have a single Dev DB and the following in SVN:

/trunk
    /branches/0.9
    /branches/1.0
    /branches/1.1

Initially, the Dev DB would be linked to Trunk and then you could sync to SVN. This would then put the "source" of the DB inside SVN. You would then probably unlink and then relink the DB to /branches/0.9 s you could make X number of changes within a given version. Once you were happy with that, you would probably port the code over to a separate branch, i.e. /releases/0.9 and then link the DB up to /branches/1.0.

HTH!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569