Couple of questions before I install, please

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
FIRST QUESTION - We're a small SMB, have not used Source Control before. Wanted to formalize the process. Any recommendations for Git vs. Subversion? I notice Subversion seems to get a lot of 'press' in the various discussions, but nothing on Git. But since Git is the Source Control for Linux development, I presume it must be pretty good, yes?

SECOND QUESTION - The other reason I'm interested in using this product is we just went live on a new system, one in which the vendor issues patches and updates directly to the production database on a fairly regular schedule. If I install this will it interfere with the vendor's issuing of those patches?
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• Thanks for the questions.

1) The reason Subversion gets more press is because we've supported it for longer. It's not indicative on which one we 'prefer'. Do you have a source control system for your application code? If so, it might make sense to use the same one for the sake of easier administration. Subversion is a more established tool, so its maturity might give you confidence, but if you like the DVCS model of Git and Mercurial, it might be worth considering.

2) is the production database the one you wish to manage via source control? SQL Source Control links to development environments, not to Production. If changes are being made directly to production, you can identify these using SQL Compare, and copy them down to a development environment, and then commit them. As we apply frequent polling to your linked database to detect changes, it would be a mistake to link a production environment to SQL Source Control.

Do let me know if you have any further questions,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks very much - this gives me some ideas on how to proceed.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
    Randy Volters