Options

Auto-linking database to source control - make it stop.

AdamYAdamY Posts: 55 Bronze 3
I am using SQL Source Control v2.0.10.11 and my source control system is TFS.
I have a database called [MyDB] on server [ServDev]. I linked [MyDB] to source control. After deploying [MyDB] to [ServTest], I noticed it is also linked to source control automatically - I didn't manually do anything, but SQL Sourse Control sees it as linked - I assume because the name is the same.

Can I make it so SQL Source Control does NOT automatically link a database to source control just because the database name matches one that is already linked? That seems to be a risky assumption. It would be nice to have control over that; especially because we use a branch/trunk method and the Dev TFS file location isn't necessarily the same as the Test TFS location. Or perhaps I just have 2 databases called [YourDB] that have nothing to do with each other.

Comments

• Options
    AdamYAdamY Posts: 55 Bronze 3
    Root Cause - no work around:
    The server names are actually the same, but in different networks (virtual). I use hosts file entries to connect to each. So...

Server names are both: [ServerA]
    The IP for [ServerA] in the Dev network is 1.1.1.1
    The IP for [ServerA] in the Test network is 1.1.2.1
    My hosts file links 1.1.1.1 to [ServDev] and 1.1.2.1 to [ServTest].

@SERVERNAME so even though they are different servers and SSMS sees them that way, SQL Source Control thinks it is the same server.

@SERVERNAME which seems a little too risky.