Full Backup hangs.

DeepakhDeepakh Posts: 2
edited March 14, 2011 9:54AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We are currently using SQL backup5 and we have a full backup scheduled to run once a day for a particular database. We have been running this job without any hassles for a long time now. What should have taken 40-45 minutes is running for almost 30 hours and i do not see it completing. I did try stopping and restarting the sql backup agent service and it killed the job. I see a wait_type 'MSQL_XP' for the backup query.I checked the sql server error logs and i see the following errors when the backup is run

Log SQL Server (Current - XXXXXXX)

Source spid155

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_6XXXXXXA-XXXX1-XXXX-XXX6-XXXXX005'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

2)Back up failed. Check application logs.
3)BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_6XXXXXXA-XXXX1-XXXX-XXX6-XXXXX0'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request).

4)BackupVirtualDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia: Flush failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_6XXXXXXA-XXXX1-XXXX-XXX6-XXXXX02'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request)

Any pointers to solve this issue???

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

A support call has been created for you, the call reference number is F0045554.

There can be many causes to the problem you have described. Are there any entries in the SQL Server Error logs and VDI logs that indicate a possible cause of the error?

From your post, I see that you have already stopped and restarted the SQL Backup Agent Service. On the next occasion the problem occurs can you please running the following query from a new query window in SSMS / Query Analyzer:
    execute master..sqbutility 9997

This function will provide a debugging trace of the current execution process in the SQL Backup engine.

Executing sqbutility 9997 will return a NULL value and generate a file in the named directory for the corresponding SQL Backup Agent (eg by default, C:\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\%instance%, called "SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt")

Please send the resulting debug file to support@red-gate.com and include the above call reference number in the subject field on the e-mail.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com