Options

Profiler causing tons of extra load on system, 15sec to 4min

I am profiling a webservice. It takes about 15 seconds to do when running in debug or release modes - however when i turn on the profiler and hit it, the web serivce is taking about 4 minutes. Both situations I have 100% CPU utilization.

Any ideas why it is doing this? There is a COM component that is called within the code, however before it even gets to this the times profiler shows are way off. The website that is calling the web service i'm profiling is even running really slowly. Seems like lots of extra load that shouldn't be occuring.

Thanks!

Curtis

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Curtis,

ANTS Profiler is definitely going to cause quite a lot of overhead when it runs. If you are unconcerned about certain page hits that are taking a long time, you can use the enable/disable buttons to stop data collection during certain times -- but of course because the application is still being instrumented it will not see too much performance gain.

If the times reported are really far-off, it may be because there are recursive functions. We have a problem with those as mentioned on the Profiler FAQ on our website.

If the total time for a function still seems unrealistic, feel free to send an email to our support address with the profiler results attached and we'd be happy to have a look.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I can't seem to find what you're refering to about recursive problems on the FAQ. Can you help me pinpoint what you're talking about?

Thanks,
    Curtis
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Curtis,

I think that the bit about recursion has been removed from the FAQ. You may fing it helpful to have a look anyway, under Why aren't the line level hit counts what I expect?

The FAQ URL is: http://www.red-gate.com/products/ANTS_Profiler/faq.htm