Options

SQLDataCompare and DOS batch file

MikeDMikeD Posts: 9
edited October 21, 2005 7:15AM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
I have successfuly tested my database comparison using a simple batch file to call SQLDataCompare. This works fine on my dev pc.

I copied my batch file and the recommended RedGate files (as per the help file)

SQLDataCompare.exe
RedGate.CommandLine.BuildInfo.dll
RedGate.CommandLine.Commoon.dll
RedGate.CommandLine.Distribution.dll*
RedGate.SQL.Shared.dll
RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.dll
RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.dll
RedGate.CommandLine.Distribution.dll*

to the server that I want the comparison to run from but it fails with the error: -

Error: This is an unlicensed copy of the Red Gate SQL Toolkit command-line. Please contact the person or organisation that
supplied you with this software.

I don't get any prompts to enter a license key.
The server has the .NET Framework 1.1 installed

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Mike,

I think that the help file has a bit of an omission. Once you have activated the command-line tools on one machine, you can use them without activating again on a second machine if you include:

RedGate.CommandLine.BuildInfo.dll
    RedGate.CommandLine.Common.dll
    RedGate.CommandLine.Distribution.dll
    RedGate.CommandLine.Distribution.mod

In the same directory as the command line tools that you want to use. Don’t forget to copy all of the necessary support files as well, for example, for SQLDATACOMPARE.exe:

RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.dll
    RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.dll
    RedGate.SQL.Shared.dll

Don't forget that you must successfully activate the software on the computer where the Red Gate SQL Bundle had originally been installed before copying the files!
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply Brian.
    I have included the .Distribution.Mod file but now I get the following error: -

Unexpected error: The format of the file 'RedGate.CommandLine.Distribution.dll' is invalid.
    The format of the file 'RedGate.CommandLine.Distribution.dll' is invalid.
    System.BadImageFormatException
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Boolean stringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm)
    at ?.?(String )
    at ?.?()
    at RedGate.CommandLine.Common.CommandLine.ParseCommandLine(Stream metaDefinitionIn, String[] args, Boolean useCommon)
    at RedGate.CommandLine.Common.CommandLine.ParseCommandLine(Stream metaDefinitionIn, String[] args)
    at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Startup.?(String[] )

These files have all been copied from my local machine which runs the SQLDataCompare without error.

Mike.
  • Options
    Hello Mike,

The list of files that I had supplied is the complete list. I copied these to a clean machine just to make sure.

I'd say that now you've come across a completely unrelated .NET Runtime error. What is the complete version of .NET that you have installed? You should have .NET 1.1.4322.573. If you are using 1.1.4322.510, for instance, you can get wierd problems like this. Also if you have 1.1 and 2.0 installed simultaneously. It will work if you have 2.0 and 1.0 or 1.0 and 1.1.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

My dev pc has .NET 1.1.4322.573 but the server giving me the error has .NET 1.1.4322.2032

I will get this upgraded and post back the results.

Thanks
    Mike.
  • Options
    Hi,

I finally got my server installed with 1.1.4322.573 of .NET Framework but I am still getting the same error. This is the only version of the Framework installed. The server is Windows 2000 (SP4)

I am a bit stumped now as to why this is not working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.
  • Options
    You and me both. Can you zip up the Toolkit files and email them to support@red-gate.com? I'll stick them on a freshly-built 2000 server and see what happens.
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

I have mailed the toolkit files as requested.

Mike.