Options

What does this mean?

EACC_NZEACC_NZ Posts: 17
edited February 14, 2011 7:48AM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
I have a number of projects set up that run perfectly when the SQL Data Compare User Interface is used, but when I switch to running them via the command line, I get the following error for just one project:

Unexpected error: Invalid file D:\Redgate Project Files\Projects\2a Production
SC-NC Referential incl Caution Notes, Stations, Employee, Personnel.sdc
Invalid file D:\Redgate Project Files\Projects\2a Production SC-NC Referential incl Caution Notes, Stations, Employee, Personnel.sdc
RedGate.Shared.Utils.IO.Serialization.SerializationInvalidFileTypeException
at RedGate.Shared.Utils.IO.Serialization.XMLSerializeFormatter.a(XmlReader , String , String )
at RedGate.Shared.Utils.IO.Serialization.XMLSerializeFormatter.DeserializeRootObject(String fileName, String name, String typeName)
at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.Project.LoadFromDisk(String fileName)
at x.a(String )
at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Runner.a(String )
at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Runner.a()
at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Runner.Run()
at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Startup.a(String[] )
Red Gate SQL Data Compare Command Line Utility V7.1.0.245

So the thing that makes this interesting, is that all of my *.sdc files are in the same folder and the batch file simply runs one after the other, ie referential data first, then "whole" data, then one other project. This has worked for months then suddenly the whole data project starts throwing this error everytime it runs via the batch file.

Any ideas?
Regars

Colin

Comments

• Options
    Initially I wondered if it was the spaces and commas in the filename confusing it, but you're not getting "file not found", you're getting XML errors. This suggests the project file is corrupted in some way.

Have you recently upgraded?

If you open this SDC file in the GUI, does it have everything set up as you expect, or does it seem to not work correctly? I'd suggest creating a new project file to replace this one and seeing if that helps.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Hi James
    The project runs fine in the GUI, we only get this when using the batch file to run the command line.

There have been no changes to Redgate, however there may have been environment changes where our change process wasn't followed (where's my baseball bat!!)

Cheers

Col
    Regars

Colin
  • Options
    I noticed in the error it says you're using 7.1

Have you tried the 7.2 patch for SDC to see if it has any effect? You should be able to obtain it here

Redgate Software

• Options
    I found that interesting, as I thought we'd done an upgrade by installing SDC 8 sometime ago. It turns out that V7 and V8 can exist alongside each other quite happily.

As part of resolving this, last week I uninstalled V7 and brought V8 up to the latest version, however the problem was still there. I left it for the weekend and on checking Monday morning, found my set of projects all running fine, the problem had moved on .... to my colleagues set of projects!

Because the reported error is different, Adrian has started a new thread below.

The problem is weird, it is definitely limited to the command line, but its only impacting certain projects, and to have it apparently self resolve, well, I'd be much happier having found the cause.
    Regars

Colin
  • Options
    Ok, so after updating to the latest version of SDC, we've regressed to version 8.1.1.33, although we do seem to be getting some Java Script errors, the command line utility seems to working again across all of our projects, PHEW!

This doesn't explain how the problem occurred in the first place and I guess it'll remain one of those great unsolved mysteries :wink:
    Regars

Colin
  • Options
    Apologies, I was away for a few days and didn't manage to check back on this thread - glad to hear you've found a working version. As it "self healed", you're right, it'll be hard to work out what the problem was. If things get strange again, feel free to open a support ticket with us though!

Redgate Software