Options

SQL Virtual Restore & Database Server Clusters

PhilJaxPhilJax Posts: 15
edited January 18, 2011 5:40AM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
I downloaded SQL Virtual Restore yesterday to try it on our database server cluster and I felt disappointed to find that the product does not support clusters. The documentation does not state that the software is not compatible with clusters, only the help button next to the instance selection states that it can only select local instances.

Out of curiosity, I did select one of the clusters that were running on this particular physical node; and VirtualRestore failed to connect to the instance (not much of a surprise).

Please can you make it a little clearer on the documentation if the software will support a clustered instance or not.

Comments

• Options
    SQL Virtual Restore fully supports clustered instances of SQL Server, you just need to install on each physical node/host. We apologize if this is not clear in the doco and will seek to improve this.
    Jeffrey Aven
    Product Management - HyperBac Technologies
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Hi Javen,
    Thank you for your reply, I have installed the software on both instances, unfortunately the software is not able to connect to any of the clustered instances actively running on the physical server. I only get an error stating 'Could not connect to instance'.

I admit that I did make the assumption that the software was attempting to connect to localhost\instancename or clustername\instance rather than clustergroupnetworkname\instancename because I have no issues connecting to the instances using SSMS or Red Gate Backup etc.
  • Options
    Hi PhilJax,

The SQL Virtual Restore wizard is a tool that creates and runs a T-SQL restore command. While the wizard is not written to work with clusters, you can use your own T-SQL to restore backups using SQL Virtual Restore, even to clusters.

To perform a restore, install SQL Virtual Restore on your clusters, then run your normal restore script but change the extensions for the *.mdf and *.ldf files to *.vmdf and *.vldf.

For more information on how to restore a backup see the worked examples, specifically the section at the bottom of the page titled 'Running T-SQL RESTORE commands to virtually restore from the backup files.'