Options

General network error when trying to data compare over VPN

tbwerztbwerz Posts: 2
edited September 27, 2005 1:50PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

When the SQL Compare tool attempts to accesss the remote server during a schema compare, I get the following error:

The tools says:
"Registering xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.DBName" at the top
"Reading tables"
Then it hangs and then gives me an error:
"General network error. Check your network documentation."

I am running the latest version (3.41) of the red gate software. I am connected to a local server and have established a VPN connetion to a remote server. I am using the SA login to connect to both servers. When I enter the L/P for hte remote server, I can see the list of databases that exist on that server and have selected the one I want to compare to my local database.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? I can telnet to port 1433 and because I am getting the list of databases from the remote server, so I suspect that I can receive UDP traffic on 1434 too. The network admin who set this VPN connection up for me says that nothing should be blocked over this connection.

Also, I am specifing the IP address of the remote server, rather than a server name (it could not find it by name, I think DNS isn't set up to handle name resolution correctly).

Just for fun I ran the DTS compare utility between the two servers and it was able to compare them fine, which leads me to belive this is a problem with the software, rather than a network configuration problem.

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• Options
    Hi Tom

This may be due to packet fragmentation over the vpn.

You may wish to try using the ping command and setting the option not to fragment the packet (-f) and start to increase the size of the packet from 1400 up to 1514 (using -l).
    I had a similar problem in the past with replication over the vpn and eventually had to limit the mtu size by changing a registry key that forced it to be 576 over an external network.

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
This discussion has been closed.