Options

Data repository retention

kevrileykevriley Posts: 129 Gold 1
edited January 6, 2011 5:45AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Have been using SQL Monitor for a while now, but only recently realised that the default purge settings where set to 1 week for each type of data. I'm looking to keep at least 1 years worth of data for Analysis purposes (so not necessarily alert data).

The RedGateMonitor database is currently at 9GB, 74% of which is taken by table 'data.Cluster_SqlServer_SqlProcess_UnstableSamples' - obviously I have no idea what this table actually holds!!

If I increase the retention period to 1 year for 'Machine Data' and 'SQL Server Data' - but keep 'Alert Data' to 1 week - it is possible to state how likely this is to affect database sizes?

I am monitoring 3 servers/instances.

Comments

• Options
    RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Alert data is the smallest catagory - so you will likely increase your database size proportionally (x52 times).

Half a terabyte of historical information is not going to be handled in a very performant manor, unfortunately. However, in an upcoming point release (new features yet unannounced) we may include configurable polling frequencies so you can reduce / turn off metrics you consider less relevant to your environment.

In the mean time, I would set the purge period to one month which although won't be enough for the reports you want should be enough to diagnose problems and spot unusual trends.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Options
    kevrileykevriley Posts: 129 Gold 1
    Ah OK.

I've only got 70GB left free on the data repository DB box anyway, so I'll probably be looking at 2 months max!

I'll set it at 1 month and look at exporting the data I want/need to keep.

Thanks.