Options

suggestion

ogrishmanogrishman Posts: 81 Bronze 4
edited January 21, 2011 1:44PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

This suggestion is not specific to SQL Compare, it's a general idea.

I suggest redgate make a centralized location to save all server permission. Then all redgate software can share this information. This way, you add a server in multi script, you can read it back from sql compare, which i think is a good idea.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Thanks for your post.

I can certainly add this as a feature request, howevermay I confirm a couple of things first?

1) What do you mean by "save server permission"? Are you meaning the name of the machine/instance etc? If so, you *can* save projects within SQL Compare which are shareable by SQL Data Compare, i.e. tools that a most like one another.

2)If it's actual authentication that you wish to save, would there not be security implications around this, and is that not what Windows Auth is meant to be for?

The more information you can provide around this and the more people request this feature, the more likely it is to make it into future versions of the software.

Many thanks!

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    ogrishmanogrishman Posts: 81 Bronze 4
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. "server permission" I mean server name, instance name, login name and password. Yes I can use Windows Auth, but many times I just one SQL Server login(not Windows login). So I think it should be useful if you can add this feature.

Thanks.

Yousui
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. I've logged this as a feature requets for you under an internal reference of SC-4957 and we will let you know if / when this gets implemented.

Thanks again,

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Please add my vote for this feature. A feature like SSMS Registered Servers would be great, and remembering recently used servers (like SSMS) would save me a ton of typing. I never use the dropdown lists because there are hundreds of machines with SQL installed and I'm only interested in the same 4 servers (which all have multiple named instances).

Thanks,
    Traci
  • Options
    Traci,

I've logged this as a feature request SC-4970. How many recently used servers would you want this feature to remember?

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    SSMS remembers 24 recently used SQL instances with permissions, so 24 would be nice to have :D I have 16 SQL instances and permissions registered in SSMS for the ones I don't connect to regularly that fall off my recent list.

Thanks,
    Traci