Gap in collected data

dwalkerwdwalkerw Posts: 12 Bronze 1
edited December 23, 2010 9:16AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I have a SQL server that is having spells where it refuses connections for periods of time. I had my company purchase SQL Monitor to help diagnose this problem. I had one of these spells late yesterday. My problem is that the monitor failed to return any data for about 5 minutes during the outage. I received no data either from the server or the SQL service. The monitor did not indicate any problems during this time.

The only thing of notice is a series of 12 Blocked processes just prior, but they all resolved themselves quickly and were marked as Ended.

Any idea why the data collection failed at just the point I needed the data?

Comments

• Hi,

If the SQL Server is refusing connection then most probably SQL Monitor was also not able to connect to the SQL Server also hence it didn't collect any data.

When this happened was SQL Monitor still connected to this particular SQL Server or had connection errors?

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • dwalkerwdwalkerw Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    I see errors as follows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SQL Monitor 2
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 12/22/2010
    Time: 12:00:21 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: INMUNCBEENAS2
    Description:
    2010-12-22 17:00:21,125 [40] ERROR RedGate.Response.Engine.Monitoring.Core.JobScheduler [(null)] - NHibernate.TransactionException: Begin failed with SQL exception ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
    at NHibernate.Connection.DriverConnectionProvider.GetConnection()
    at NHibernate.AdoNet.ConnectionManager.GetConnection()
    at NHibernate.Impl.SessionImpl.get_Connection()
    at NHibernate.Transaction.AdoTransaction.Begin(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at NHibernate.Transaction.AdoTransaction.Begin(IsolationLevel isolationLevel)
    at NHibernate.Transaction.AdoTransaction.Begin()
    at NHibernate.AdoNet.ConnectionManager.BeginTransaction()
    at NHibernate.Impl.SessionImpl.BeginTransaction()
    at (Object )
    at #cnv.#wnv..ctor(ISession )
    at #cnv.#bnv.#Ool()
    at #5mv.#eov.#fDv(#hjv , #hjv , Boolean )
    at #5mv.#eov.#t.#B3.#bcz()
    at #tmv.#Hov.#t.#Iov.Execute(JobExecutionContext )

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
  • These are timeout errors from SQL Server. This indicates that SQL Monitor was also timing out which explains why there is no data.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software