Options

compare all databases at once rather then one by on

jcochranejcochrane Posts: 2
edited December 13, 2010 6:53AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
i have several db's on one server that i want to compare to others on another server, is it possible to compare all the db's together rather then one at a time?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

We receive this question occasionally when answering pre-sales questions. Unfortunately you cannot perform a multiple database comparison using the SQL Compare GUI.

However, you may be able to achieve your goal using the SQL Compare Command Line Interface (CLI) available through the Professional Edition. (if you are evaluating SQL Compare, you will be using the Professional Edition).

Using the CLI, you will be able to create a batch that will compare multiple data sources by scheduling a single file. For example:
    sqlcompare.exe /Server1:MyServer1 /database1:AdventureWorks /Server2:MyServer2 /database2:Adventureworks /out:MyCompare1.txt /force

sqlcompare.exe /Server1:MyServer1/database1:Northwind /Server2:MyServer2 /database2:Northwind /out:MyCompare2.txt /force

sqlcompare.exe /Server1:MyServer1/database1:Pubs /Server2:MyServer2 /database2:Pubs /out:MyCompare3.txt /force

You are still essentially comparing two databases at a time, but using the CLI you can combine each comparison to run one after the other.

Further information can be found using this link to the help information regarding SQL Compare in the 'Learning SQL Compare' section ->The Command Line Interface:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/P ... %20Compare

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com