SQL statement maximum length?

pmcpmc Posts: 5
Hi, we just purchased the Performance Profiler and are having troubles viewing the full SQL statements in the SQL source code section of the application. It cuts the statement after 8192 characters (including spaces). Is this a limitation in SQL Server's monitoring services that provide PP with data, or a limitation in PP displaying the statement?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sorry I did not answer this yesterday, but I didn't want to reply to this topic until I got an answer for you, which I have not.

I have spent about 45 minutes yesterday trawling through the ANTS Performance Profiler source code and couldn't find anything although I had found some Event Tracing code samples on MSDN that seem to indicate that there is a maximum buffer size (ring_buffer) that you can specify for the ETW buffer, which may be the issue.

So at the moment I don't know if this is a bug or just a design oversight and am waiting for someone from the ANTS Profiler dev team to get back to me about it.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    We think it's just because the ETW object is using the default buffer size. I've logged bug PP-1174 so someone can look into it.
  • Great, thanks for your support. We await your findings then.