Options

Is there a way to bulk add servers to monitor?

qcjimsqcjims Posts: 38
edited December 3, 2010 4:10PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
We have 250+ servers and 300+ instances that we would like to monitor. is there a way to add these systems in bulk instead of manually through the gui?

-js

Comments

• Options
    Sorry but we currently don't have a command-line alternative for adding servers/instances.

The quickest way to do this would be to create a comma separated list of the servers. Placing \* after each server would tell SQL Monitor to automatically add all instances on that server. For example

server1\*,server2\*,server3\*,server4\*,etc

This is still a fair bit of work admittedly. On my test rigs I used to export a list of machines from Active Directory Users and Computers to a text file, manipulate the list into the above format using notepad and then copy+paste into the Add Servers textbox.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    ok, i will give the comma-delimited approach a try. I am concerned though with the number of servers/instances that a single SQL MOnitor environment can effectively monitor. Is there any guidance for this?

Right now I have 55 servers/instances monitored (this is the number in Global Overview) and the system is running at close to 100% cpu at all times. We installed all SQL Monitor components on a single host though for this test, so maybe we need to break things up a bit.

-js
  • Options
    Our Supported platforms and hardware requirements page gives some guidance as to how many servers a single instance of our base monitor service can handle
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 126997.htm

As a rule of thumb I wouldn't suggest attempting to monitor more than 50 servers with a single service but obviously this does depend on how powerful the host machine is.

Breaking the system up would definitely help. The base monitor service will be very busy and needs a dedicated machine. The web server and SQL Server repository would ideally be on separate machines.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate