Options

Perfmon Bad data error

RhysRhys Posts: 35
I get the following error on one of our server...

Perfmon data is missing objects: SQLServer:Access Methods, SQLServer:Buffer Manager, SQLServer:Databases, SQLServer:General Statistics, SQLServer:Latches, SQLServer:Locks, SQLServer:Memory Manager, SQLServer:SQL Statistics. Possible causes include performance counter library corruption, or a 32-bit/64-bit mismatch between Windows and the performance counter provider (e.g. SQL Server).

I've executed the Powershell command

Get-Counter -ComputerName server -ListSet "*sql*"

and I only get the ".Net Data Provider for SqlServer" listed. On other servers I get many more sql related counters. Anyone know what might be the issue here?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rhys,

This error generally comes up when performance monitor doesn't return the data for the counters.

Could you please try the following?

1. Is the problematic SQL Server a 32 bit SQL Server on 64 bit windows OS? If no, then please try step 2.
    2. Open Performance/ System monitor (open Run and then type perfmon). Then select the listed performance counters i.e. SQLServer:Access Methods, SQLServer:Buffer Manager etc and verify if you can see values for this counters in Performance monitor. If you are not able to see any values here then there is a chance that the performance library might be corrupt and you may have to rebuild it. Please try the steps as listed in support article from Microsoft. The link to article is listed in this help page.

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... %20Monitor

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Hi Priya

Yes, it's 32 bit SQL on 64 bit OS. Is this unsupported? Must have missed this.

Rhys
  • Options
    Hi Rhys,

Unfortunately this is a Microsoft issue and we cannot do anything about it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891238

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rob/archive/ ... ssues.aspx

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    *Sorry for digging up an old thread, I just found this by searching for my issue.*

Is there any update to this issue?

I understand that this is a Windows issue, I just did not know if a workaround had been discovered similar to the /32 workaround for perfmon.

This 64bit/32bit setup describes 95% of the servers that I administer. There are plans for the setup to be updated in the near future, but wondering if there is a workaround for the present.

Thanks

Matt Laffoon
  • Options
    Baguck wrote:
    *Sorry for digging up an old thread, I just found this by searching for my issue.*

Is there any update to this issue?

I understand that this is a Windows issue, I just did not know if a workaround had been discovered similar to the /32 workaround for perfmon.

This 64bit/32bit setup describes 95% of the servers that I administer. There are plans for the setup to be updated in the near future, but wondering if there is a workaround for the present.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for the this windows limitations.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Lynchie435Lynchie435 Posts: 15 Bronze 1
    I have the same error:

22 May 2013 1:14 PM General Perfmon Bad data #Rnv

Perfmon data is missing objects: SQLServer:Access Methods, SQLServer:Buffer Manager, SQLServer:Databases, SQLServer:General Statistics, SQLServer:Latches, SQLServer:Locks, SQLServer:Memory Manager, SQLServer:SQL Statistics. Possible causes include performance counter library corruption, or a 32-bit/64-bit mismatch between Windows and the performance counter provider (e.g. SQL Server).

We are running 64bit 2008 Datacentre and 64 bit SQL Server 2008 RS. When checking perfmon on the machine itself the counters are all there.

If I run Powershell Command:
    Get-Counter -ComputerName server -ListSet "*sql*

I have all the performance monitors listed yet I still get the error, can anyone shed some light for me please.

Cheers.