"Could not connect to instance"

rdugrerdugre Posts: 13
edited December 3, 2010 6:31AM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
I just purchased and installed SQL Virtual Restore (version 2.2.0.166). When I run the wizard I get the Step 1 of 4... it has my Instance of "(local)". I am signed in as a domain administrator with system admin rights on the SQL Server and am using "Windows authentication". When I click the "Next" button, I get the following message:

"Could not connect to instance:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote..."

I can open SSMS just fine under the same windows login.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Can I you please confirm that you have SQL Virtual Restore (SVR) on the same machine as the SQL Server you are connecting to?

Can you please confirm the security permissions of your Windows account that it does not permissions to the SQL Server? Have you tried using SVR using the 'Run as administrator' option?

If you have multiple SQL instances on the server, when you select your 'local' instance, do you see the other SQL Instances listed?

So I can create a Support Ticket for you, can you please take a screen shot of the error and send it to support@red-gate.com. When the e-mail is received, we will then be able to create the support Ticket from it. If you could also include your contact details in the e-mail, it will make call logging process easier.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com