Test off site SQB file integrity?

paule123paule123 Posts: 44
edited November 29, 2010 6:03PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have an FTP process that moves our daily production SQB backup files to a Windows 2008 server in an off site location. I'd like to know if there's a way to easily test that those off site SQB files are valid and were not corrupted in the course of FTP transfer. I have a few hundred SQB files in the off site location so it would be nice to be able to point some tool at all the files and give me a report back whether good/bad.

Comments

• Thank you for your post.

If you download this .zip file:
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_backup/SBaTU.zip

it contains a utility that can be used to run various checks on the validity of a backup file. However non of the tests are 100% reliable, as the only 100% reliable test is to run a restore with file, it will give a good indication.
  • Thanks, that utility is most helpful! I don't suppose there's a way to script that utility from the command line?
  • Unfortunately this is not a command line tool. It can only be accessed from the UI.
  • Hi paule123,

You could also consider using SQL Virtual Restore. This would allow you to do full backup verification (eg, including a DBCC CHECKDB), without taking up the disk space of a full restore, and in much less time. This can be scripted using native T-SQL syntax - for eg, you can do a virtual restore, run DBCC CHECK DB, and then drop the database. There's a UI 'wizard' included in the latest release that will help you construct the T-SQL syntax for this, that could then be used in a script.

Hope this helps,

Colin.
  • The SQL Virtual Restore idea sounds good, however this statement on the requirements page concerns me:

"If you would like to use SQL Virtual Restore with encrypted SQL Backup Pro backups, please decrypt them first. Decryption for all other backup types is supported."

... my backups are encrypted with SQL Backup 6.4. Does this mean I would have to have a copy of SQL Backup 6.x installed on the same machine so I can decrypt my backups, before SQL Virtual Restore can open them?
  • Hi paule123,

The information in the requirements section of the product pages is out of date -- I'm sorry about this, and I'll try to get this remedied as soon as possible. SQL Virtual Restore v2.2 was released recently, with support for encrypted backup files created with SQL Backup v6.0 and above. There's further information on this in the product documentation (for eg, see here).

Best regards,

Colin.