Options

Alert Filtering

JohanNJohanN Posts: 13
edited November 16, 2010 8:10AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi

Is there a way to filter an alert based on the process or the time? At nights I have som jobs that does som ETL processing that takes time, and it should take some time. The job accesses certain tables that are used uring the day so it is intereting to know if these tabels are involved in any long-going queries during businesshours

If I could filter the alert on the loginid used or the time of day my problem would be solved

/Johan N

Comments

• Options
    Hi Johan,

Yes, you can filter the alert which are raised during a particular time period. Navigate to Alert Inbox and select 'Advanced filter' option and then use the options under 'Time'.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Hi

That doesnt really help. The advanced filter you're mentioning is for display purposes only and I need a way of telling SQL Monitor that I do not want any alerts to be raised if the SQL process is a certain user or if the process i s run certain times.

As it is now Now there will be alerts every night when my dataextraction jobs are run and my email inbox is filled with alerts every morning.

I want to be able to tune SQL Monitor so it does not raise any alerts I'm not interested in and i think I would need some new filtering parameters to set under Alert Settings for Long Running Jobs (i.e the possibilty to exlude certain processes/users from the alert, maybe to disable the alert when the scheduled jobs are run).

/Johan
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying.

Not sure if it serves the purpose or not but 'Long running query' alert supports filtering on query text. Though it doesn't support excluding by user name or process name at this stage. But if there is a particular sql query which you want to exclude then you should be able to use this feature.

We are also adding support for exclusion by process name in 2.1 release.

Also, we are currently working on 'maintenance window' which will be most probably be part of 2.1 release. This will allow you to stop alerting based on a schedule.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Ok

If you put in the feature Exclusion by process name in version 2.1 I will be very happy, thats the feature I'm looking for. Filtering by query text will not help me in this particular case because the nightly jobs are executing some SELECT:s against an order and orderrows table

/Johan
  • Options
    Thanks for confirming. We are working on this now so should be part of 2.1 release.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software