Only monitoring certain databases and ignoring others

samalexsamalex Posts: 20
edited November 12, 2010 4:39AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
We have a number of Month End databases we keep loaded for reporting purposes, but they don't get backed-up or anything. I'm getting alerts since they haven't been backed up or had integrity checks made on them in a while, so is it possible to exclude these databases from these rules? I'd like to know if there's a deadlock or other issues, but for backups and integrity checks they should be ignored.

And just to not have to create a third post (just posted another one about moving to IIS from the built in web server)... is there any simple way to customize or at least resize the columns on the Alerts tab? Several of our database servers have 50+ databases, but under Objects I only see this:
ServerName\(Local)> then the first 2-3 letters of the database name. I have to hover over each database name to see which one it is which isn't ideal. I know the product is new so there may be bugs, but this is one that's very annoying.

Thanks --

Comments

• Hi,

Regarding the alert, yes it is possible to exclude certain databases for specific alerts. You can use Configuration > Alert Settings page.

Navigate to the machine name on left hand navigation, expand it
    Select you instance name, expand it
    Select the database which you want to exclude
    Then select the alert on the right hand pane and open it.
    Use the "Customize setting" option and then disable it.

You can read more here http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 269920.htm

Regarding object name in alert inbox, unfortunately there is no way to cutomize it currently. I have logged this as SRP-2437. We will try our best to improve this.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi,

Regarding the visible length of your database names, you could try the following:

In the Monitored servers list on the left, drill down to the SQL Server instance. Beneath the instances you should now see a list of all the databases on that instance.

You can now click the small plus icon (it's a plus in a small circle opposite the Global Filters list) to increase the width of the Monitored servers list.

This should now allow you to see the names of all your databases. Those with unread alerts are shown in bold and the number of unread alerts in brackets after the name.

It's not quite what you're after, but I hope it may help until we address the issue.

Regds,
    Brian Harris
    Technical author, SQL Monitor
    Brian Harris
    - Project Manager, SQL Backup
    - Red Gate Software Ltd.