Options

Connection failed (Internal SQL Monitor error).

revrev Posts: 7
edited December 20, 2010 5:44AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
When I enable trace, I get the error connection failed. When I view the log is see:
"The trace file path is not valid or not supported. failed to start trace: 18 Could not find the requested trace."

When I search the help I find the security settings and I checked them all. Even sysadmin is checked, but still the error returns. When I disbale the trace everything is working fine.

What do I have do?

Comments

• Options
    Hi rev,

When the trace option is turned on, the trace will be created in the default log directory for the SQL Server. If you connect to the instance in question using SSMS, choose Properties of the instance and Database Settings what is the value for Database default locations>Log: ?

Does this value look valid? If you could make sure that this value is valid and reachable by the SQL Server service/username, turning the trace flag back on should then work correctly.

If the value is accessible please get back to me and we will try something else.

Thanks,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    In the database settings the database default locations are set to "F:" which is indeed the default location for the databases and the RedGateMonitor db is located here to. I tried to change it in "F:\", but after clicking ok en checking it again these values were set back to "F:". Don't know if this matters for SQL Monitor.

Is it also possible to create the trace file on another disk?
  • Options
    Hi rev,

It's not pretty but if you put F:\\ in the Log location, SSMS will only strip one \ and the trace flag should then work!

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    Hi Matthew,

That did the job. Thanks for the quick support!

Is it possible to set the trace file to another location other than changing the server setting?
  • Options
    Hi rev,

Great news that it's now working. Unfortunately there isn't currently an option to choose where the trace files will be created. May I ask why you would like to have them somewhere other than the default log directory?

Thanks,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    I don't want the trace files to be on the same location as the log files for I/O reasons and disk space. We have a Netapp and I want to store them on a separate disk, like maintenance plan logs, etc. For now I have changed the server setting, but that is not ideal.
  • Options
    Thank you for your response. I'll feed that back to the development team.

Thanks,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    Yes, I already installed the new Response and successfully enabled the tracing. Is it also possible to change the default path now? Or do I have to wait for the next update?
  • Options
    Hi Rev,

This is not yet implemented. We are tracking it as srp-2907. We hope to fix this is one of the future releases.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Hi Priya, I'm looking forward to it. Thanx for the update.