Options

Installation problems

atalbotatalbot Posts: 8
edited November 9, 2010 12:57PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I tried installing the SQL Monitor 2.0 product and have had a nightmare so far. The installation failed as the website would not start up. It kept saying the file was already in use. I stoped the Base Monitor and was able to start the website. I then got errors when trying to view the website until I installed the .Net 4.0 framework. Once I installed that and configured IIS to use it, I was finally able to get to the site and immediately noticed that it is missing all graphics, css, and javascript. I have tried to work through this and register a server but it apparently is not working. I am a Software Developer with a strong knowledge of IIS and appreciate the use of MVC but seriously, If it is failing from install, there are some serious problems.

Comments

• Options
    Chris SpencerChris Spencer Posts: 301
    edited November 9, 2010 12:59PM
    Apologies for the issues you're having. We've not seen any issues internally where the website fails due to a file being in use and you definitely shouldn't need .NET 4.0 in order to get it working. The installer checks for the presence of .NET 3.5 SP1 and that should be enough.

What browser are you using to view the website out of interest? If it's Internet Explorer then it could be an issue we've seen internally where the URL needs to be added as a trusted site.
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 269935.htm

If it's not that then would you be able to give us some more details of your IIS setup (especially the IIS version) and any screenshots of errors received could be valuable.

Also we write to log files that are by default (on Vista and later) located at C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Monitor 2. If you can zip up the contents of this directory and email to chris.spencer@red-gate.com, I could check these and see if anything unexpected is occurring.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    I had tested it in IE. I added the site to trusted sites without any improvement. I then tried it with Firefox with the same failure.
  • Options
    I am running IIS 6 (windows 2003).

This is pretty accurate representation of what shows on my screen.

SQL Monitor 2.0.0.3780
    Trial will expire in 13 days Enter serial number | Give feedback | Contact sales | Buy online
    SQL Monitor

* Overviews
    * Alerts
    * Analysis
    * Configuration

Help | Log out
    Global Overview
    Rewind time
    Rewind time
    Date:
    Time:
    Back in Time mode
    Return to the present < 1d < 1h < 10m < 1m 1m > 10m > 1h > 1d >
    +
    Servers Status [?] Uncleared alerts [?] Unread alerts [?] Last 24 hrs Processor time (%) [?] Memory used (GB) [?]
    Copyright Red Gate® Software Ltd.
  • Options
    Apologies if you've already tried this but I just need to make sure that you've done the wildcard mapping required to get MVC applications working on IIS6. The process is as follows:

SQL Monitor is an ASP.NET MVC application that uses URLs without extensions, so you will need to use wildcard mapping:

- Right-click the Monitor website you just created and click Properties.
    - In the Properties dialog, go to the Home Directory page and click Configuration. (If you have set SQL Monitor to be a virtual directory beneath an existing website, then go to the Virtual Directory page).
    - Under Wildcard application maps, click Insert.
    - In the Add/Edit Application Extension Mapping dialog, type the path to the aspnet.isapi.dll file in the Executable box. This should be mapped to C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll or, for 64 bit Windows, to C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll.
    - Ensure that Verify that file exists is not checked.
    - Reload the SQL Monitor page to check that it displays correctly

(sourced from our online documention found at http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 126997.htm)

If you've already done this and still have the issue then we'd probably have to look through any log files (location mentioned in my previous post).

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    This mapping was missing and was not included in the installation documentation. Once I added the mapping and returned my asp.net to 2.0 from 4.0, it appears to be working
  • Options
    Great news that it's working for you.

Be assured that the IIS documentation is under constant review and we will respond to user feedback in order to make it more complete.

Many Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate