Options

Backup exit and error codes following a network survival

Daniel_Cave00Daniel_Cave00 Posts: 8
edited October 28, 2010 2:00AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi all,

Can someone give me some clarity as to how the Backup process exits when a network retry has been detected?

I am currently trying to rework our process to cater for problems whilst backing up and I need to know how the procedure reports certain failures.

Whilst were at it, can someone confirm how the process deals with network issues if you have retry specified. I hope that it does not attempt to do the entire process again but instead carries on from the point of failure.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When SQL Backup fails to write a file the first time, it reattempts the write depending on the DISKRETRYINTERVAL and DISKRETRYCOUNT values (default is 30 seconds and 10 respectively). If one of the reattempts succeed, SQL Backup raises warning code 210. If all the reattempts fail, SQL Backup raises error code 620.

The write is continued from the last successful write point.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thanks for that.

Further to my initial query does anyone know how this is recorded in the sqbdata database? For example what entry type is recorded for success with retry and success with network survive?

We have just started looking at this database and found it to be an interesting way of interpreting the outcome in addition to the output from the job.
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The backupfiles_copylist table stores the list of files that need to be copied, together with the outcome of the last copy attempt.

The values that may be useful to you are the status, count, and retrycount values. Status values are as follows:

A = active
    S = completed
    P = pending
    C = cancelled
    E = expired

Count is the total number of attempts made so far to copy the file.

RetryCount is the total number of disk write failures encountered during the last attempt to copy the file. E.g. a value of 0 indicates that there were no disk write errors encountered during the copy process, a value of 5 indicates that there were 5 instances where SQL Backup failed to write the copied data to disk.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8