Options

Job FailSQL error code: 4208 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000)

nlytlenlytle Posts: 3
edited October 12, 2010 7:24AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Our log shipping job is failing and the step is always failing with this error:
SQL Backup failed with exit code: 1010 SQL error code: 4208 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000). The step failed.

Anyone have any ideas what this is, and how I can get the log shipping running again?

Thanks,
Nancy

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your post into the forum.

How strange, SQL Error 4208 indicates that a log backup has been called but the database is using the SIMPLE recovery model, as per this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa226364(SQL.80).aspx

However you can only set up log shipping if the source database is using the FULL recovery model.

Are you performing any maintenance tasks, for example index re-builds, where the database recovery model is being modified from FULL to SIMPLE. The index re-build takes place and on completion, the recovery model is switched back to using the FULL recovery model?

If the answer is yes, please consider modifing the job so that the database recovery model is switched from FULL to BULK-LOGGED, perform the maintenance task and then switch back to the FULL recovery model.

The above action action will prevent SQL Error 4208 from occurring and prevent a break in the transaction log backup chain.

I hope the above helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    I had set the recovery model to Full and still the job failed with the same error message. Is there anything special I need to do to get the log shipping going again?
    Now our full backups have failed with the error: SQL Backup job failed with exitcode: 161 SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000). The step failed.

Nancy