Options

single shared database mode

d.robertsd.roberts Posts: 11
I have some suspicions that whilst working in this mode, and I know its not recommended but it works best for us, that some users might be doing a getlatest and potentially overwriting teh changes that other users have made but not yet checked in.

Firstly, is this possible? (maybe when a new user links to an existing TFS controlled db?)
secondly, can GetLatest be disabled for shared db mode (apart from maybe an admin user?)

Comments

• Options
    SSC is stating that one of the differences is a conflict.

I'd like tounderstand how SSC can determine this if we are using a shared db model?
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

When using the shared db model you increase the chance of conflicts in the manner that you have described.

SQL Source Control supports both methods, dedicated and shared but we (Red Gate) recommend the dedicated model as this greatly reduces the known problems using the shared model.

This Knowledge Base article explains the Database Development Models.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

This second knowledge base article explains Conflict resolution.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    The article with detail of the shared model limitations is useful, especially as it hints at your use of a local copy of the scripts (on each dev pc, even in shared db mode) to determine changes and conflicts.
  • Options
    We hope to improve the usability of the shared model in a later release, with information in the commit list on who made which change, and maybe a warning if you try to commit a change you may not have made yourself.

At some point we hope to avoid the spurious conflicts, but for now, they can simply be ignored and 'keep mine' selected.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software